Friday, October 7, 2011

"Every designer's dream begins somewhere"

Photobucket



This evening I had the pleasure of viewing "Dressed" a documentary on Nary Manivong a once homeless designer and his amazing journey. This documentary was so inspiring to me. To hear where this young man came from and where he is now, and how he NEVER gave up is just what I needed to keep me moving. I had never heard of this designer until tonight, and I was truly moved by his story. Through all his trials, and with circumstances not looking too promising for him he made it through. In the documentary he carried a small note with him that read "Nary, you can do it. Believe" Always a great reminder to carry around with you.

This industry especially is a difficult to master. There are so many great up and coming designers all over the world, but of course the more recognized designers are the ones that get the most attention. You know the Gucci's, Valentino's, and D&G's of the world.. It takes years and years to gain that kind of success. 2,000 brands launch each year, and a lot of them go bankrupt within the first year after their first collection. The most important thing to remember is to "Just do good work" No money comes from a fashion show, and some of the most amazing shows were produced with little money. Produce good work, and eventually someone will notice" I'm taking mental notes so when it comes time for me to put something out there I will have all the knowledge I need. You can learn a lot from those that came before you. No need in trying to reinvent the wheel here.




I was able to get some pretty good photos from the event.. check them out



Photobucket




Q&A with designer Nary and director David Swajeski

Photobucket


Dana, a guest, Nary, and Myself


Photobucket




Photobucket


And then at the meet and greet I run into Linda owner of T.H.E Artist Agency here in DC and of course you know she was one of the DC Housewives



Photobucket


Erin was super cute



Photobucket


Nary and I, he's cute lol



Get more info about the documentary HERE

No comments: